American SCHIP Dip: What Happened to the State Children's Health Insurance Program?

From: Shapiro Healthcare Marketing Research
Published: Wed Apr 27 2005

"Based on recent U.S. government statistics, enrollment in the vitally-important State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) has stagnated," according to Jack Shapiro, an internationally-known healthcare marketing consultant and market researcher, futurist, broadcast journalist and public speaker.

"Passed by Congress in 1997, this program was eventually going to cover 11 million low income children (under age 19) who did not have health insurance. SCHIP and allied publicly-funded health insurance programs aimed at children peaked at 6 million in fiscal 2004 (which ended September 30, 2004) and is now growing at about 1% per year.

"This program will never reach its goal," Shapiro notes.

"Congress agreed to spend $40 billion over ten years for this program: $24 billion over the first five years and $16 billion over the remaining five. Although all states have agreed to participate in this program, federal funds cover only 65% of expenditures; states must come up with the remaining 35%. Given the crisis in many state budgets, it has been very difficult or impossible for some states to produce their share of the revenue. Consequently, billions of federally-funded dollars have gone unmatched by the states and unspent. Outreach programs to the poor have often been minimized.

"States have various ways to spend this money: as part of the SCHIP program, as an extension of state Medicaid programs, or a combined SCHIPS/Medicaid expenditure. States such as Texas have simply run out of money and have cut SCHIP enrollment while Illinois has significantly increased theirs. California, the most populous state, has over 700,000 children enrolled in the program, the largest number in the country."

For further information about the "SCHIP Dip," its underlying factors, and potential consequences, please contact Jack at:

P.O. BOX 1025
Maywood, NJ 07607
Phone: (201) 441-9815


Jack M. Shapiro, is an internationally-known healthcare marketing consultant, futurist, broadcast journalist and public speaker announces the availability of his free on-line video discussing the future of healthcare (

Jack includes among his clients major pharmaceutical and insurance companies, advertising agencies, hospitals and manufacturers of medical equipment supplies and devices. Often quoted in the healthcare industry, general business, and lay publications, Jack has been a frequent guest on national television (ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, FOX, PBS and abroad on BBC and ITN) and radio as a commentator on healthcare trends and politics in the United States and overseas.

From 1997-1999, he was the host of "MEDI-POLITICS," a nationally-syndicated radio show focusing on the politics and future of healthcare as well as key legal and ethical issues. The show reached more than 40 markets in 26 states and an audience of 31 million people.

Jack has spent more than 35 years in the healthcare field, both in the U.S. and abroad. Before forming his successful research and consulting company, he held high-level management positions in marketing and market research with healthcare giants such as Wyeth and Pfizer.

He is currently writing a book about the future of American healthcare based on his long experience in the healthcare industry, in-depth interviews with leading experts who appeared on his radio show as well as on-going poll results generated by his market research company.

Recently Jack was the event host of the "Global Pharma R&D Summit" in Scottsdale, Arizona (September 13 – 15, 2004), attended by over 250 top pharmaceutical scientists from around the world.

Jack is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives.


. What’s the future of American healthcare?

. What are the latest clinical trial trends?

. Who are the uninsured and the underinsured?

. What’s driving up the cost of healthcare?

. What can people do to save on healthcare costs?

. Healthcare in Bush’s second term agenda and implications for 2006 and 2008 elections

. Why is ours the "Healthcare Economy?"

. What’s the future for employer provided healthcare?

. Tomorrow’s breakthroughs in biotechnology and surgery: will we be able to afford them?

. Why are so many people turning to "alternative" healthcare?

See Other Press Releases from Jack Shapiro by Visiting His Website at

Company: Shapiro Healthcare Marketing Research
Contact Name: Jack Shapiro
Contact Email:
Contact Phone: 201-441-9815

Visit website »