New Market Research Report: Puerto Rico Telecommunications
Amid Challenging Economic Conditions, M&A Activity Increases and Competition Intensifies
[ClickPress, Fri Jul 08 2016] Puerto Rico is one of the most developed telecom markets in Latin America, with service penetration rates above the regional average and technology adoption trends highly influenced by the mainland US market. With a challenging economic context ahead, we expect the Puerto Rican telecom market will experience very moderate growth throughout the forecast period, mainly driven by the mobile and fixed data segments. We project that from 2015 to 2020, telecom and pay-TV service revenue will increase at a 1.7% CAGR, from $2.3bn in 2015 to $2.5bn in 2020.
* The Puerto Rican telecom market generated an estimated $2.3bn in telecom and pay-TV service revenue in 2015, 0.7% up on the previous year as a result of the island's difficult economic environment. With a challenging economic context ahead, we expect the telecom market to experience very moderate growth though the forecast period, expanding at a 1.7% CAGR between 2015 and 2020, mainly driven by the mobile and fixed data segments.
* Competition in the Puerto Rican telecom and pay-TV market has intensified over the past five years, resulting in a wave of mergers and acquisitions that has significantly reduced the number of players in the fixed and pay-TV segments.
* Claro is currently the largest telecom player on the island, responsible for nearly 34% of the total revenue in the market in 2015. The Pan-America operator currently offers mobile and fixed communications services as well as pay-TV services.
* Puerto Rico closed 2015 with an estimated 3.2m active mobile subscribers and a penetration rate of 92.2%, below the Latin American average (115.3%). As we move forward, we project that Puerto Rico's mobile subscriber base will continue expanding during the 2015-2020 period at a 0.8% CAGR.
* Puerto Rico closed 2015 with a voice-line penetration of the population of 24.4%. Fixed broadband penetration of the population stood at 17.8% at the end of 2015, one of the highest in the region.
* Puerto Rico reached 694,400 pay-TV accounts and a household penetration rate of 56.5% at the end of 2015, above the Latin American average (42.1%). Liberty Global is currently Puerto Rico's largest pay-TV service provider, followed by DTH/satellite operators DIRECTV, now part of ATandT, and Dish Puerto Rico, with estimated shares of 32.1% and 28.3%, respectively.
Full Report Details at
Pyramid Research's report, "Puerto Rico: Amid Challenging Economic Conditions, MandA Activity Increases and Competition Intensifies," provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Puerto Rico today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2020. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Puerto Rico's telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
It provides in-depth analysis of the following:
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts, we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased, expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports, please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156 (1.413.485.7001 Int'l)
You may also be interested in these related reports:
- Argentina: New Regulatory Framework and Recent MandA Activity Will Boost Competition in Telecom and Media Markets
- Caribbean Telecommunications Report Q2 2016
- Greece - Telecoms, Mobile, Broadband and Digital Media - Statistics and Analyses
- Germany: Consolidation, Convergence and Next Generation Networks and Services Will Drive Healthy Competition.